The UK ETA is currently under development. The questions on the UK ETA application form will resemble those for existing eVisa or online travel authorisations such as the American ESTA, Canadian eTA, European ETIAS and Australian ETA. Each ETA eligible traveller will need to complete a UK ETA application regardless of age.
When the application is live, the following information will be required:
- First name – Special characters will be permitted yet applicants should be prepared to use characters of the English alphabet. Applicants without a last name should be able to enter ‘LNU’ for ‘last name unknown’.
- Middle name (optional) – Applicants without a middle name will not be required to provide an answer for this field.
- Last name – Applicants without a last name should leave the field blank or enter ‘FNU’ for ‘first name unknown’.
- Date of birth – The date the applicant was born.
- Gender – Options for male, female or other will be provided to applicants.
- Country of citizenship – The passport of the country the traveller is using for the UK ETA application.
- Passport number – The number in the passport used for travel to the UK and for the ETA application.
- Passport issuance date – The date the passport was issued to the applicant.
- Passport expiry date – The date the passport expires.
- Other nationalities or citizenships – Information on other passports or nationalities of the applicant. Disclosure will likely be required of the passport numbers, national ID numbers as well as issuance and / or expiry dates.
- Home address – The home address, city, country and post code (where applicable) of the applicant.
- Email address – The email address of the applicant or the person applying for the applicant, such as a parent or legal guardian applying on behalf of a child.
- Telephone or mobile number – The telephone or mobile number of the applicant or the person applying for the applicant, such as a parent or legal guardian applying on behalf of a child.
- Employer name – If employed, the name of the applicant’s employer.
- Employer address – The address of the applicant’s employer.
- Employer email – The email address of the applicant’s employer.
- Employer phone number – The mobile or telephone number and country code of the applicant’s employer.
- Previous immigration history – This includes details on previous border or visa denials
- Criminal history – These may include minor or major criminal offenses, both violent and non-violent.
- Drug possession or usage history – Applicants should be prepared to answer questions about their drug usage and / or distribution history.
- Terrorism activities and charges – Questions will cover memberships, activities or charges related to terrorist groups.
- Health related questions – Questions may include previous or existing infections, vaccinations or other immunisations.
- Payment – Debit or credit card payments will need to be submitted online to process a UK ETA application. Without payment, an application cannot be processed, nor approved for travel to the UK.
Once submitted, it is expected most ETA applications will be processed within a few days. Applicants should thus plan accordingly and apply several days in advance of travel to the UK.